Even dormant turfgrass needs proper cultural practices to encourage a return to full health in the spring. Don’t forget these winter-month maintenance items:
- Mowing. Just before green-up, mow slightly lower than summer mowing height. If possible, use a bagging mower to collect trimmings and dead material from winter dormancy.
- Thatch Removal. If the thatch layer is greater than ½ inch, consider using a dethatcher or vertical mower to remove it.
- Aerification. When frost potential has passed, core aeration and dethatching can be combined to lessen soil compaction.
- Weed and Insect Control/Fertilizer.Always carefully follow manufacturers directions when treating soil and turf.
- Irrigation.Avoid dry desiccation by watering to prevent excessive dryness.
Every season brings important maintenance to keep your turfgrass beautiful and healthy, don’t hibernate on these winter tasks!