A Texas Bluegrass Hybrid
Developed through a partnership between Texas A&M and NG Turf, Sunbelt Blue™ is an innovative cool season cross between Texas and Kentucky bluegrass. Sunbelt stands up to Southeastern summers better than fescue, while remaining cold hardy and keeping its bright green color year round. It performs with superior resistance to disease as well. Sunbelt’s rhizomatous root system provides heat and drought resistance and also allows it recover from stress and damage—unlike fescue, which requires overseeding.
Benifits of Sunbelt Blue Grasss
Sunbelt Bluegrass is a warm-season grass variety that offers several benefits for homeowners and landscapers. Here are some of the advantages of using Sunbelt Bluegrass:
- Drought tolerance: Sunbelt Bluegrass has excellent drought tolerance compared to other cool-season grasses.
- Heat tolerance: This grass variety is well-adapted to hot climates and can tolerate high temperatures. I
- Disease resistance: Sunbelt Bluegrass exhibits good resistance to common lawn diseases such as brown patch and dollar spot.
- Wear tolerance: With its dense growth habit, Sunbelt Bluegrass is highly wear-tolerant.
- Aesthetic appeal: Sunbelt Bluegrass features a beautiful dark green color and fine texture, giving lawns a lush, manicured appearance.
- Irrigation is not required, but is recommended.
- Once established, follow general recommendations of 1″ of water from rain or irrigation per week, depending on soil conditions and climate.
- Although heat and drought resistant, Sunbelt Blue will perform better with increased watering in periods of high temperatures or drought.
- Visit the resources page to view or click here to download our watering guide for new and established grass.
Thrive in the Sun, Conserve the Water, Embrace the Beauty!
- Medium blade; blue-bright green color year round
- Medium; better than tall fescue
- More disease resistant than other cool season grasses
- More heat and drought resistant than fescue
- Better recovery than other cool season grasses
- Medium fertility requirements
- Medium mowing frequency
- Full sun to partial shade
- Cold hardy
- pH 5.5 to 6.5
- Landscape—Home lawns, commercial properties
Homeowner Tips and How To's Blog